Thursday, October 16, 2008

W. T. F. ?!




Ok, now I understand that there are some pretty vast differences between Americans around the country.  But there are a few things that, despite my best efforts, I just can't understand or even justify with any kind of rational reasoning.  This morning, while I was doing some research for grad school, I heard John McCain speaking in rural Pennsylvania.  His speech included the usual attacks on Obama's tax policy and how Joe the plumber will suffer after he buys a business (HA!).  None of this bothers me to the point of anger, it's an economic strategy that he seems to truly believe in, even though I was under the impression that trickle down economics has been proven not to work over and over.  None of what I heard in his stump speech frightened me or threw me for a loop, it was all pretty standard Republican doctrine that I certainly don't agree with, but hey, America has made it through decades of this doctrine and still managed to survive (managed to survive sometimes in spite of our own policies, but hey we're still here right?).  What really got me was something I saw just behind Senator McCain, in the crowd.

There was someone in the crowd, just behind the podium, holding up a large sign that read "PA Residents for Guns & Religion."  I think I've made it clear that I do not agree with what has become of organized religion.  Spirituality, to me, is a very personal part of my life that does not require validation from an outside authority.  I do, however, feel that I have a pretty good understanding of religion (at least Catholicism), I attended CCD, I have completed the holy sacraments up to Confirmation, let's just say I have put in my time as a practicing Catholic.  No where in my Christian education was I taught that next to my rosary, I should have an H&K MP-5 .  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, they have nothing to do with each other (except that guns are used to kill people in the name of religion as long as there have been guns).  



All I can say in response to that sign is that it is a perfect example of the major problems I have with politics in America.  Where elections are not won through offering solutions to real, pressing issues, rather they get over run with things like gun control, abortion, and what creed the candidate subscribes to.  Which don't really matter when the economy, in today's case, the world economy, is going down the pipe.  I don't care how important abortion law might seem to you, if you don't have a job and can't buy food, all of a sudden it's going to take a back seat to the economy.

I'd like to post a comment made by Bill Maher on Larry King Live.  Perhaps it will stir some conversation.  I'm not sure of the validity of the statement, but I certainly get the feeling that he's on to something when I think about the past presidential elections I've witnessed and some that I have only read about.

"Look, I think what's sad is that apparently in this country, the only way we can ever elect a Democrat is if there's an absolute and utter calamity that happens.  And then people kind of get it through their heads, oh, you know what, maybe this time we don't elect a guy we want to have a beer with.  Maybe we have to get serious.  We might have to even, oh, heaven forbid, vote for the black guy."

3 comments:

Savvy Joe said...

Very nice column, my nephew. However, as you know, your Uncle Joe is a religious-nut. Bill Maher is an atheistic-nut, and a comedian, and someone who professes to be attuned to our country. He is not, anymore than I am.
One comment, however. The issue about "the economy", is not the dire issue of whether people can eat. Thankfully, in our society, no one starves. With the safety net of welfare and foodstamps, etc., starvation is not an issue unless it is child abuse or a crazy person. The issue about the economy is if we have enough stuff. People in our country get pissed off if they don't have 2 or 3 cars, if they can have high speed internet access with extended cable packages, and if they can have a cell phone with enough text messaging minutes. So when people get torqued up about the economy its not the food, its the stuff. Abortion is an issue that no one wants to talk about because it has become an issue where people tend to become shrill and mean and violent on both sides. But it is about our society's view on life, what constitutes life, and who should be protected. To me, that is a much bigger idea than my stuff.

Good entry, Colin. Say hello to everyone.

- UJ

Savvy Joe said...

It is a very good column and comment. However, it struck me when i was listening to my bbc world news podcast that the economy issue isn't just about us. They were interviewing a woman who was in a developing country (I can't remember which one now) where people were starving because of the trickle down effect of our economy. The following article points to the concerns the U.N has about poor getting enough food because of the economic crisis. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7690437.stm
On a more local level, there have been food drives at my church and in many grocery stores in Albany because soup kitchens have had more and more people. However, we are lucky, in our country, that we have safety nets for people who are hungry.
Unfortunately, neither candidate will have an easy climb out of this global financial hole that we are in, as far as i am concerned. I don't have to say there are many issues in this election to consider. For me (especially after getting 2 letters back saying they aren't hiring for positions that I applied for anymore because of the job freeze) the economy is definitely one of them.
Just thought I'd throw this out there. Again, great topic!

Cousin Maureen

Caleb said...

Also, holy crap did your uncle just misspell your name?