Thursday, October 9, 2008

This week is turning out to be one best described by the old saying "it's time to put your money where your mouth is."  It seems like it happened all at once.  Mom called and informed me that, in the mail I received my acceptance letter from NIU to enroll as a Student at Large (which by the way is nothing to celebrate because it just means that I can now begin paying them money to take classes toward a degree I will have to apply and be accepted to later), my book of 501 Spanish verbs, and my GRE test prep book, and my own copy of The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which I have still not finished.  On top of this I have finally received phone calls back from two schools that I have been trying to get in touch with for recruiting purposes for over a week now.  It seems the magic number of phone calls, with messages, to get a response is twelve, plus one unannounced visit in person.  More importantly, however, the most promising of them is UIC College Prep, a Noble Street Charter school affiliated with, you guessed it, UIC and focused on health sciences.  So what this all means is that I have some real work to do in the next few weeks if I am going to hold to my goals I stated in an earlier post.  

As a post script, I ordered all those books from thriftbooks.com and paid just under fifteen bucks with shipping.  They are used, but it's a pretty sweet deal as I found a ton of books for, literally, one penny.  Check it out.

3 comments:

Cass said...

i just started partnering with uic college prep. nice and close to home :)

Savvy Joe said...

Busy days ahead, but it will be well worth it! What degree are you going for? Good luck with everything!

~Cousin Maureen :)

Caleb said...

Being around students all the time when you are done with school is strange.

Thanks for the tip on thriftbooks.