Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Chicago Marathon





I wanted to mention the Chicago Marathon on my blog because I always find it to be an experience that showcases the best things about our city and its people.

I woke up early Sunday morning, well earlier than I would have liked, after a night which was best summed up by my first beverage of the evening entitled "The Behemoth."  Needless to say, I was... tired.  I, slowly, made my way out of my apartment and down to Taylor street where the faster runners were just passing by.  As I made my way down the block toward our neighborhood Starbucks for a nice, warm latte the flow of runners began to increase in density.  I walked passed the water stop where high school cross country runners, their coaches and parents, and some committed members of the running community were busy bracing for the swarm of thirsty bodies that were bearing down on the Taylor Street oasis.  I made it to Starbucks and, still not quite awake, stumbled awkwardly over my order, "medium, uhh grande? is it?, latte... ohh and uhhh no foam...please."  I think that sentence took a good 45 seconds to choke out, at which time the, very patient, woman taking my order replied, "Grande latte, no foam?"  I was able to get my act together enough to shut my mouth and start nodding my head.  Due to the forty nine or so people working at Starbucks that day, I had my order in less time than it took me to place it.

Feeling slightly more awake after a few sips from my delicious latte, I stepped outside to see the four hour pacers running by.  The sea of runners thickened a great deal since I entered the coffee shop and so had the crowds on the streets.  I picked a spot just behind the bike lane line and next to a stroller, knowing that it would be something not likely to be moved and that I could see over.  What I heard for the next hour or so was what makes me enjoy watching the marathon so much.

Nothing but smiles lined Taylor Street to greet the runners as they passed by the crowded side walks.  Several people run the marathon with their names written on their clothes, and people along the way shout out their name and yell for them to keep going and that they are doing well.  These are people who have never seen each other before and are unconditionally in support of each other on this one day of the year.


When Christmas time comes along we talk about "good will toward men," but the time of the year when this phrase is truly upheld is out in the streets during the marathon.  So inspiring was the feeling among the runners and the crowds egging them on that every time I stand by them, I feel like joining them, sometimes I even think that it might be a good idea to train and run next year, even though I really have no interest in running a marathon.  

When I was out there I heard my mother's voice in my head when I began to think "there is such a positive feeling in the air right now."  I had to laugh at myself because the voice in my head that was speaking the thoughts I, myself, was having, was more of a version of my brother's impression of my mom's voice than her voice itself.  After I had my own personal chuckle that I think I was able to hide behind the vail of my sunglasses and the smile I already had plastered on my face, I got back to watching the runners as they shuffled by along the street.

Besides the feeling of positive energy exuding from the crowd, my other favorite part of the marathon is watching all the beautiful bodies as they do what they have been training to do for the last several months, run (well sometimes shuffle, walk, stumble, and I know I saw a woman doing something that best resembled trying to walk with flippers on).  But seriously, it's not often that one stumbles to Starbucks in the morning and is greeted by tens of thousands of happy and, for the most part, good looking people parading down the street, not to mention a hearty dose of good vibs!

No comments: