Friday, November 6, 2009

Today, I wore black.

Every day, on my way to work, I pass by a make-shift memorial on the side of the road about half way through a curve. It is just south of Belmont on River Road and is set back a bit into the woods. There is an obvious gap in the forest there which leads me to believe some vehicle crashed through and tore open a hole in the forest. There are flowers and a statue of the Virgin Mary, and candles and a few other nick-nacks that I am, usually, driving be too fast to identify. My best guess is that there was a car accident there and that someone died in way that was tragic, possibly being hit by a drunk driver. From time to time, however, I have noticed that the flowers are sometimes fresh and that things that get moved or taken away are replaced, but I've never seen anyone there until today. This morning, as I drove by, I saw a car parked on the shoulder near the site and a woman kneeling with her head bowed at the foot of the small statue. I don't know why, but I felt very strongly when I saw that scene. Not sure what the emotion was, but I was moved.

I am also dressed for the occasion, I'm in all black today. We have a "Faculty Fun Night" this evening at work and my team for the activity is dressing in all black, we're badass like that (the attire goes along with our team theme, it's not like an emo look or anything so don't worry that I'm turning into an eighth grader or anything). Either way, the whole scene was somber, yet surprisingly uplifting in a way. Just the fact that this woman obviously visits this site regularly to remember the person who (I assume) she lost there, would mean a lot to me.

Anyway, Happy Friday.

No comments: